August 23, 2026 04:27 am (IST)
Kolkata, Haldia ports remain under high vigil after terror threats
Kolkata, Nov 5 (IBNS): High alert remained enforced on Wednesday in the two dock systems of Kolkata Port in Kolkata and Haldia after intelligence agencies received warning of possible terror attacks from Pakistan based terrorists, prompting the Indian Navy to remove two warships from the port, officials said.
While Kolkata Port was supposedly the prime target as per the intelligence reports, the Haldia Port is also kept under high vigil.
"Both Kolkata and Haldia ports are on the same riverine route. So in both ports the vigil is strong," Kolkata Port Trust deputy chairman in charge of Haldia, Manish Jain, said.
According to officials, the frequency of patrolling has been increased by all agencies. Port officials are in constant touch with the CISF, state police and Coast Guard.
According to reports received, central intelligence agencies have reportedly intercepted some telephonic conversations after which a high alert has been sounded in the port area on Tuesday.
While Kolkata's additional joint commissioner of police Rajeev Mishra said "we are taking care of the situation," another official told IBNS that the threat is from Pakistan based terrorists and all precautionary measures have been taken.
Media reported that central intelligence agencies have warned that terrorists may be aided by Pakistan navy to attack Kolkata port.
Intelligence sources said some intercepts suggested that there was a terror threat to the Kolkata port. The West Bengal government held a high-level security meeting with central agencies, the Army and the Navy and decided to sanitise the port.
It has been learnt that an emergency meeting had taken place between port officials, Kolkata Police and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) officials in Kolkata on Tuesday.
The development came after central intelligence agencies warned that naval wing of Al-Qaeda are planning to attack Kolkata Port, according to another source.
Two Indian Navy warships, missile frigate 'INS Khukri' and an offshore Patrol Vessel OPV Sumitra, that had docked at Kolkata for Navy week celebrations on Tuesday, have been instructed to leave port immediately and have gone back to sea.
A Defence Ministry statement said they had been "withdrawn for undisclosed operational reasons."
The naval agencies and coast guard have also been alerted.
Support Our Journalism
We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism
IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.
Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Latest Headlines
Amit Shah’s big Darjeeling move: Centre promises ‘Permanent Political Solution’ for West Bengal hills
Sat, Aug 22 2026
From promise to protest: Why Annapurna Bhandar has become a test for BJP govt in Bengal
Sat, Aug 22 2026
‘Modi Chalisa’ at Press Club of India sparks row: PCI distances itself from PM cutout worship event
Sat, Aug 22 2026
iPhone EMI pressure leads to tragedy: Indian teenager, parents die after falling from Maharashtra hill
Sat, Aug 22 2026
One BJP, two voices: Bengal Minister Swapan Dasgupta’s Jadavpur remark clashes with ‘surgical strike’ call
Sat, Aug 22 2026
Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well
Sat, Aug 22 2026
Cockroaches, flies, chemicals near food: Mumbai FDA suspends licences of top eateries, clubs
Fri, Aug 21 2026
India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark
Fri, Aug 21 2026
