August 23, 2026 02:44 am (IST)
ISIL beheads Japanese journalist held captive
Tokyo, Feb 1 (IBNS) The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) has released a video capturing the killing of a Japanese hostage- journalist Kenji Goto- by beheading, said media reports.
Kenji Goto, a Japanese journalist who was captured by the ISIL, was shown purportedly in the video being beheaded with a knife. The video was released online.
The video said "let the nightmare for Japan begin."
Japanese goverment spokesman Yoshihide Suga said the video could be authentic.
The ISIL member in the video in a grim warning to the world said: "Because of your reckless decision to take part in an unwinnable war, this knife will not only slaughter Kenji, but will also carry on and cause carnage wherever your people are found. So let the nightmare for Japan begin."
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in a statement said: "A video was made public in which it appears that Mr. Kenji Goto was murdered, following Mr. Haruna Yukawa. I have no words when I think of the pain felt by their family members. The government has exerted every effort in its response. It is truly sorrowful and extremely regrettable."
"I feel strong anger at this act of terrorism, which is outrageous and the height of barbarism. I criticize in the strongest terms this impermissible violence. We absolutely will not forgive the terrorists. We will work with the international community to make them pay for their sins," he said.
"Japan will never give in to terrorism. We will further expand our humanitarian aid to the Middle East in areas such as food and medicine. Japan will resolutely carry out its duty as part of the international community fighting terrorism.
"I express gratitude from my heart to the friends of Japan and to the world leaders who showed strong solidarity and gave their cooperation aiming for release in response to this act of terrorism.
"We will continue to make every effort to secure the safety of the Japanese people at home and abroad," stated Abe.
Abe had earlier vowed to save the two Japanese hostages after the Islamic State group threatened to kill them.
In the trademark ISIL video, the hostage was shown kneeling on the ground in an orange suit while a man, who is wearing a black outfit, was seen standing beside
Support Our Journalism
We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism
IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.
Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Latest Headlines
Amit Shah’s big Darjeeling move: Centre promises ‘Permanent Political Solution’ for West Bengal hills
Sat, Aug 22 2026
From promise to protest: Why Annapurna Bhandar has become a test for BJP govt in Bengal
Sat, Aug 22 2026
‘Modi Chalisa’ at Press Club of India sparks row: PCI distances itself from PM cutout worship event
Sat, Aug 22 2026
iPhone EMI pressure leads to tragedy: Indian teenager, parents die after falling from Maharashtra hill
Sat, Aug 22 2026
One BJP, two voices: Bengal Minister Swapan Dasgupta’s Jadavpur remark clashes with ‘surgical strike’ call
Sat, Aug 22 2026
Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well
Sat, Aug 22 2026
Cockroaches, flies, chemicals near food: Mumbai FDA suspends licences of top eateries, clubs
Fri, Aug 21 2026
India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark
Fri, Aug 21 2026
