August 23, 2026 03:36 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence
Bengal Violence

Calcutta HC transfers Bengal 'post-poll violence' probe to CBI

| @indiablooms | Aug 19, 2021, at 06:36 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: In a major setback for the West Bengal government, the Calcutta High Court Thursday ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the allegations of murders, rapes and unnatural deaths reported after the verdict of March-April state elections was declared on May 2.

A five-judge larger bench, led by Calcutta HC's Acting Chief Justice Rajesh Bindal, has also constituted a three-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe into the other comparatively less important cases related to the alleged post-poll violence.

The SIT will comprise three IPS officials, including Suman Bala Sahoo, Soumen Mitra and Ranbir Kumar, and it will work under the observation of a retired Supreme Court judge.

The High Court also directed both the CBI and SIT to file its investigation status report before the larger bench within next six weeks.

Earlier, the Calcutta High Court had directed the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) to inquire into the allegations of post-poll violence.

A NHRC team was attacked allegedly by the workers of ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC) in Kolkata's Jadavpur while conducting a ground zero survey of a violence-hit area.

Later, the NHRC submitted its report before the court which was called "biased, absurd and false" by the state government.

The court had earlier ordered the state government to register cases against all the complaints of the alleged post-poll violence and to ensure ration as well as free medical support to all the victims.

The state's primary opposition force, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which was the petitioner of the case, welcomed the verdict while sources in the state government said that it will move the Supreme Court challenging the order.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.