May 22, 2026 02:18 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial
China Omicron
Image: Representational image from Pixabay

China introduces stringent measures to counter Omicron threat

| @indiablooms | Dec 23, 2021, at 02:05 am

Beijing: China, the country from where novel coronavirus infection is believed to have originated, has introduced stringent Covid-19 quarantine and border control rules to counter the threat of Omicron.

The latest measures, announced on Monday, came after six Omicron cases were identified in three Chinese cities within a week, reports South China Morning Post.

Changsha in central Hunan province reported two imported Omicron cases on Saturday, after one each in Tianjin and Guangzhou earlier in the week, the newspaper reported.

Meanwhile, the Chinese mainland reported 57 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.

Of the new local cases, 53 were reported in Shaanxi, two in Guangdong, and one each in Tianjin and Guangxi, the commission said.

There are 20 new imported cases in six provincial-level regions, according to the commission.

Two new suspected cases arriving from outside the mainland were reported in Shanghai and no new deaths from COVID-19 were reported on Tuesday, it added.

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland had reached 100,544 by Tuesday, including 1,765 patients still receiving treatment, of whom seven were in severe conditions.

A total of 94,143 patients had been discharged from hospitals on the mainland, and 4,636 had died as a result of the virus.

A total of 19 asymptomatic cases were newly reported Tuesday, all arriving from outside the mainland.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.